The Church of Christ traces its history back to the original organization that was established by Jesus Christ in the first century AD. That original Church had Jesus Christ as its head and twelve Apostles that had the oversight of the Church organization on the earth.
The ancient New Testament Church taught the pure, simple gospel of Christ. This included:
- faith in Christ as our Savior,
- repentance from sins, baptism by immersion,
- laying on of hands for the reception of the Holy Ghost, for the healing of the sick,
- for the blessing of children,
- and for ordination to the ministry,
resurrection of the dead and an eternal judgment according to our works in this life (Hebrews 6:1-2)
The original Church grew and continued under the authority of the ministry and the doctrines taught originally by Jesus Christ.
“And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the spirit gave them utterance. Then Peter said unto them, ‘repent and be baptized everyone of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...and the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved (Acts 2:1,4,38,47).
Just as the salvation of individual souls is only by God's grace, so too is the corporate gathering of his redeemed people into a local congregation. In 1935, God began a gracious good work - planting a church eventually to be named ‘Emmanuel Apostolic Church of Christ’ in Jamaica. The church's first pastor and founder is Evangelist Mulvina White. She along with other ministers planted over 30 churches in the organization. Emmanuel Apostolic Church name was then ‘incorporated in 1954 and was the first church organization to receive such status in Jamaica. Evangelist Mulvina White shepherd the congregation faithfully for 34 years before entering into the presence of God in Heaven in September of 1969.
The mantle was then passed on to Bishop S. U. Thomas who along with his Deputy, Bishop F.A. Senior continued to plant churches in Jamaica and the United States. The first oversees church was planted in Perrine, Florida. Under the leadership of Bishop S.U. Thomas we acquired our now headquarters (formally the Tropical Theatre) which is located at 12 Slipe Rd, Kingston. Bishop S. U. Thomas then resigned in 2006. His son, Bishop Calvert Everton Thomas is the present Presiding Bishop /President. We also have two Deputy Presiding Bishops of which our Pastor, Bishop Ernest McDonald is one along with Bishop Clovis Tracey. The Emmanuel organization now has over 40 churches with 4 of its churches located in the United States (2 in Florida, 1 in Georgia & 1 in Connecticut)
EAC-Miramar was started in February 1993 by our Pastor, Bishop Ernest McDonald. Our first service was held at 2316 SW 60th Terrace, Miramar with 13 members. The church grew both spiritually and numerically and in 1997 we relocated to our present site, 6114 SW 35th Ct. We now have a membership of over 900. To God be the Glory!
Evg. Mulvina White